Financial Support

US Citizens

All Master’s and Doctoral graduate students in the Department that are making progress toward their respective degrees are financially supported by a teaching assistantship or a graduate student research assistantship. Annual stipends range between $20,000 and $25,000. In addition to the stipend, most students will also receive tuition waivers, which include full tuition, fees, and health insurance.

Non-US Citizens

Foreign graduate students must pass an examination in spoken English to become a teaching assistant. Annual compensation packages range between $20,000 and $25,000. Fees and health/dental insurance are provided in addition. Payment of tuition and fees is not guaranteed by the university for foreign students.

Financial Support

Undergraduate students can offset some of the expense associated with college by taking advantages of opportunities for obtaining financial supplements. These can take the form of scholarships and employment. The Financial Aid Office at UNCG can provide general information on scholarships, loans, and student employment. Some students are eligible for Federal work-study program.

The Department awards teaching and graduate assistantships to students in the Master’s and Ph.D. programs to help with financial support through their studies. A limited number of in-state and out-of-state tuition waivers are also available. M.S. students with assistantships are generally supported for two years, which is the planned length of the M.S. programs. Ph.D. students with assistantships are generally supported for five years.

Teaching and graduate assistants are assigned duties within the undergraduate teaching program of the Department. Assignments are usually in the general and introductory chemistry laboratory courses, but other laboratory assignments (organic, analytical, or physical) may be made. Duties typically require about 20 hours per week during the semester. Assistantship stipends are paid through the summer without the assignment of teaching duties, so that students can work full-time on their thesis research during the summer months.

Research assistantships may be available through individual faculty members who hold grants or contracts. Prospective graduate students may contact faculty members directly to enquire about the possibility of research assistantship support.

Additional funding information is available through the Office of Financial Aid.


In addition to the University-wide scholarship program, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers a number of scholarship specifically for chemistry and biochemistry students. Many are renewable for four years as long as the student remains in good standing as a major. See the list describing the departmental scholarships.